Thursday, July 5, 2012

Our Adoption Journey - Part 8

Guarding your heart in times of excitement is hard.  We kept things under wraps and only asked a few close friends and family members to pray for us.  Every week we sent Sophia or Ethan a text message to keep up to date.  Not too long after we met them they were able to tell Sophia’s mom, Vikki.  By that time Sophia was pretty set in her decision, but as any good mom would, Vikki, asked her a lot of questions about other options.  Along the way Sophia continued to be assuring that all was well and that she was firm in her commitment to this adoption plan.  But as hard as it was not to share our excitement it was even harder to accept this assurance and accept this truth.  That is until we finally were able to talk to Vikki. 
She called out of the blue on April 27th to invite us to Sophia’s first ultrasound that day.  I talked to her for quite awhile on the phone and we planned to meet at the hospital at 3:00 for the ultrasound appointment.  As it turned out – this was another part in God’s plan – the ultrasound appointment wasn’t until 4:00…He gave us an hour to sit in the lobby and get to know each other.  Not only were we able to meet Vikki, but also Sophia’s sister, Stephanie, and her little boy, Sophia’s 2 year old nephew (the life of the party J).  It was a time for questions and fellowship and helping Richard & I to realize this was a real possibility. 
Then we got to go into the ultrasound appoint with Ethan and Sophia – we saw little Cooper for the first time, his heart beating, his kidney’s, his fingers and toes, his face – eyes, nose, mouth and all, and then the tech showed us the “turtle” sign letting us know he was a BOY. Let me tell you I was excited – I was praying in that moment telling God that I would love this baby either way but I really wanted a boy and I found out later that Richard was also praying that he would love this baby either way but knew that I wanted a boy – what a sweet moment!! After the ultrasound Sophia generously shared all of the photos and the little video clips with us. We could hardly wait to leave the hospital to share him with the world…
 For you formed my inward parts;
  you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
 Wonderful are your works;
  my soul knows it very well.
 My frame was not hidden from you,
 when I was being made in secret,
  intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
 Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
 in your book were written, every one of them,
  the days that were formed for me,
  when as yet there was none of them.
(Psalm 139:13-16 ESV)



No comments:

Post a Comment