Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Our Adoption Journey - Part 7

Ethan left a message on my cell phone that night and I returned his call the next morning.  We played phone tag, but ended up texting to set up a time to meet Friday afternoon.  Before the meeting I was able to send him a copy of our big profile (one that I created outside of the agency with all the pictures and words that we really wanted!!)  We decided to meet at Great Harvest Bread Company downtown Grand Haven.  Although this was neutral territory, it is a place that Richard and I frequent and is owned by friends so we knew it would be comfortable and quiet right after school let out. 

Let’s be honest Richard and I were very nervous.  But then Ethan and Sophia walked in and it was obvious that they were even more nervous than we were.  This really eased my nerves as I tried to make them feel comfortable to ask us questions and talk about the baby.  I’m sure I talked the most because I tend to do that, but Richard got a few comments in too (he’s really better at loving on me with a touch of his hand or a smile or a rub on my back while I talk J).  But both Ethan and Sophia got in a number of great questions and Sophia expressed her thanks for being able to review our profile prior to meeting us. 

It was at this meeting that we found out that although he already cared for Sophia deeply, Ethan was not the father of the baby…and that her mom did not yet know about the pregnancy.  As excited as we were leaving this meeting at the possibility of adopting the baby that was growing in her tummy, we were also cautious and guarding our hearts to the possibility that this wasn’t God’s plan but just a jog in the journey.

Proverbs 4:23

No comments:

Post a Comment