Monday, September 17, 2012

Mommy Monday

The Mind of a Mom

So last night I came to the realization that my mind has transitioned to that of a Mom!!  This came after a 1:00 am feeding.  I thought these were behind us since Cooper had been sleeping so well for the least few weeks.  When he woke up it was around 12:50 am and I thought to myself "he can't be hungry"...a few other thoughts like maybe he got scared or cold went through my mind.  So I got up and rocked him for a few minutes which seemed to help.  So I laid him back down - CRY!  Then I tried to rock with the pacifier - he calmed down again so I laid him in the crib - CRY!  So I tried to give him the pacifier in the crib (this is something we never do by the way) - still more crying.  I don't know why I forget that he really only cries when he is hungry...maybe because it was 1:00 am.  So I made a bottle and fed him - 3 ounces and he was back to sleep.  Apparently, he just needed to be topped off :)

Here is where the Mind of a Mom set in...I went back to bed and laid down and thought "hmmm his blanket was kind of bo-jangled...maybe I should get up and straighten it...what if it gets tangled around something and cuts off the circulation...it's thin enough that if he gets it up around his face he can breathe through it...I hope he is warm enough if he's not fully covered...should I just get up...no he is fine just go to sleep"  Mind you that all the while Richard is sleeping soundly beside me :)

In the end I just fell asleep without getting up and he was absolutely fine - he woke up again at 5:00 am for another feeding (the best Dada ever took that one!!).

When I got up this morning it occured to me that just as little as a few short months ago that if I woke up in the night it was because I had to go to the bathroom or Richard was snoring in my face.  Getting back to sleep then might have meant reminding myself of a few things I needed to do the next day or getting Richard to turn the other way.  But now just a few short months later I have another human being to think about.  And not just any human being, but our son who has stolen my heart and put it in his pocket for safe keeping.

Let me tell you that the Mind of a Mom is not only evident in the middle of the night.  I think it will be there forever and always.  Like now when I'm packing the diaper bag for a trip or making sure his laundry is done and bottles are washed...or in about a year when he is toddling around and I am thinking about all the things that need to be moved up out of a toddlers reach...or a year or so after that when I'm wondering if he needs to go potty so we keep on the right track with big boy undies...or how he is doing on his first day of kindergarten...or if that tackle hurt when he plays his first football game...or if he is eating that special lunch I made on his first day of middle school...or if he is safe on his first day of driver's training...or if he has butterflies as he is walking up to get his diploma...or if she said YES on the night he proposes to that special girl God has chosen just for him.  The Mind of a Mom does not rest and I'm so very thankful to have one!!

So excited to growth with him in all that God has in store...


No comments:

Post a Comment